Tuesday 24 June 2008

Carrots Hoorah

Almost 3 weeks since digging up some carrots to find very little under the surface, I dug a few more up yesterday and this is what I found. The biggest is about 4cm, still too small to eat but its proof that there is growth. Slowbut real growth. I will leave the plot for another 2 weeks before I try again. Hopfully by then there might be carrots big enough to eat.

The beetroot are still really small. Maybe they will be worth another look in 3 to 4 weeks time.

The lettuce is coming on strong. The 3rd section is just starting to appear and the 1st lot is really growing well.

I think the main thing that is going to effect all my planting is the amount of room the vegetables have to grow. Once sown I didnt thin out any of the seedlings and now they are growing each container is starting to look very overcrowded. Hopefully once I pick some veggies that will act as enough thinning out.

Next year I will think more about thinning earlier. As its my first year I didnt think I would have so much success so soon.

2 comments:

olivia said...

hi shaz your garden looks fab what a difference since the last time i was up with you. All your hard work has paid off as seen in photos maybe you could give my mum some tips :D speak to you soon

Olivia XxX

Unknown said...

hi shaz its Olivia
I like the updates you have made to your website and your garden.
Hope your plants survive the cold winter (dont worry they will).

loads of love
x xx xOliviax xx x