Monday 22 March 2010

It's seed weekend

A glorious sunny Sunday followed heavy rain on Friday and light rain on Saturday. All that rain left the garden water logged and so I was unable to go near the borders. Instead I used the time to sow the veg and flower seeds for the coming year. All have been put into the green house as its too cold and too early to be left outdoors. I have not got a great deal of space so for the larger plants I have restricted the amounts of veg seeds in each row to 5 for each variety, in the hope that at least 1 will germinate.


Tray 1


  1. Tomato - Harbinger

  2. Tomato - Money maker

  3. Tomato - Gardeners delight

  4. Tomato - F1 Fantasia (x2) Harbinger (x3)

  5. Pepper - California wonder

  6. Pepper - Mini mix

  7. Pepper - Yolo wonder

  8. Sweet basil


Tray 2


  1. Mint

  2. Radish

  3. Radish

  4. Leek

  5. Leek

  6. Brussels

  7. Brussels

  8. Marigold


Tray 3


  1. Salpiglossis

  2. Coleus

  3. Nigella

  4. Morning Glory

  5. Nasturtium

  6. Antirrhinum

  7. Cosmos

  8. Stock

Tray 4

1- 5 Marigold

6-8 Sweet Pea


To round off the day, I also created a new herb garden with a pot of mint that I bought at Morrison's on Saturday and a pot of Thyme and Parsley that I have been growing for a few seasons. The herbs are contained in a trough that sits next to the back door, so that I don't have to go far to pick a few bits of anything. As mint is a bit of an aggressive plant containing it within the trough should be perfect.





Now I have planted up this herb garden next the back door I have realised that I should do the same for the salad area. For the past few years I have grown the salad at the top of the garden, but that means I have to walk to the top of the garden to pick a couple of leaves. So the next job for the week will be to move the salad containers down to the back door. This should also be an improvement for the plants as there is more light and warmth at the house end of the garden.


No comments: