Tuesday 7 July 2015

Poppies and allotments

Its always good to reflect on the past and to see how life has progressed. I've lived here for almost nine years now and a lot has happened and changed in the Garden of Shaz. Just to see how much has changed I've added a photo showing the garden as it was in 2007 and how it looks today in 2015.

I am amazed at how blank the garden was to start with and so happy to see how much is going on in the garden today. 
Garden of Shaz 2007 and 2015
And the garden is still changing. Ive been moving the lower growing plants on the left side forward to make room for taller bushes at the back. I'll make a start on the right side later in the year, bringing the hostas around the washing line to break the straight edges of the patio. Ultimately I want the garden to be a mixture of plants, flowers and vegetables and no grass. The left side is almost done with broad beans to go into the gap in the middle. Rhubarb and strawberries will go into the right side. 

Its been a few years since I've grown vegetables but I've been inspired to start again (and grow fruit for the first time) by my friend Jo. I visited her allotment in Stevenage last week; the first time I had been on an allotment. It was incredible to see how much produce everyone on the site was growing and was especially impressed with Jo's plot as she has only had it for 18 months. 


Jo on her allotment

I must admit I was also a little jealous of how big her garlic and onions where. My pot grown efforts had only ever been small and disappointing. The highlight of growing any vegetable or fruit is in the eating and after countless journeys to fetch and water the plot I was rewarded with freshly picked broad beans and strawberries to add to our picnic. I lovely way to spend a summer day.


No comments: