Tuesday 29 July 2008

After the sunshine ...

After a glorious weekend of hot summer weather (at last) inevitably comes the rain. Not that I am grumbling about the rain, in fact as a gardener I enjoy the rain knowing the good its doing for the plants (and frogs).

Yesterday evening brought some really heavy downpours, thunder and then sunshine again. While sitting in the kitchen with the patio doors wide open it was lovely just sitting and watching the rain. I liked it so much I filmed it. The sound is relaxing too.

Later that evening, once the rain had stopped I went to collect some lettuce from the veg patch. While cutting some leaves I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. I could'nt see what it was at first, but then once it moved again realised it was a frog. It then hopped around the veg troughs, climbed through the chicken wire and into the carrot patch. There are lots of insects in that area so I expect inadvertantly Ive created a food source for it.

By the way, the lettuce is so big and there is so much of it that for the first time I have not bought a lettuce in the weekly shop. The carrots are growing slowly and for the last 3 weekends I have been able to pick some carrots for our tea. My carrots are really small still so I do still buy a few each week. This photo is of the largest one so far. From root to top it was a whole 5 inchs. The edible length a massive 3 inchs. I can also confirm it was very tasty too. Last week Ive also sown a small patch of carrots which may possibly be edible in late autumn.

1 comment:

yamahito said...

Welcome to rainy Wales!