Monday 29 June 2009

Potato harvest


On Saturday I dug up one of the four potato pots I have been growing this spring. There was no indication from the leaves on top that anything was going on below the surface, and only a week ago a stuck my hand in the soil to try a find a potato. On that occasion I found something, something small, but something none the less. It gave me some optimism.

Anyway, I could not wait any longer. So this weekend I dug up one pot with the best foliage and as you can see from the photos, this is what I found. This large pot had 3 seed potato plants and from those 3 plants I harvested 4lb of potatoes. Wow. Big wow. I never thought I would get so much.

The Saturday harvest became the Sunday dinner. The skins fell off beautifully to reveal pale white flesh and they boiled quicker than the new potatoes I have been buying.

And the taste - beautiful, creamy and light. Well worth the effort and wait.

I have 3 more pots to harvest over the next few weeks. I am never going to be self sufficient growing in pots as I am now but perhaps now I have experienced this small taste of success I might feel a bit more confident if I ever got an allotment in the future.

1 comment:

hello gorgeous said...

they look delish! :o) what variety are they? xxx